Once again a musical year has come and gone and, much as I found myself saying this time a year ago, I’m not quite sure that the year in hard rock and metal was quite as good as the one before … but it wasn’t bad by any stretch either.
In fact, putting together this year’s list was so reminiscent of the process last year that the same explanation and disclaimer I used then works very well today.
The criteria was pretty simple really, released between Jan 1 and Dec 31 2012 and be a project that I got considerable enjoyment out of during the year. It’s a lot like my college football Top 25, there’s no one absolute factor that puts one entry ahead of another, I’m not putting artistic merit ahead of fun or chart/sales success in front of my own enjoyment. The thing I hate about doing year-end lists is the fear that I’m going to leave something out, so I’ll apologize in advance for any errors of omission.
The one change from last year’s list is that, in spite of my belief that the year might have been just a little weaker overall than 2011, the list has grown from 20 albums to 25. There simply wasn’t enough to separate the final few for me to be comfortable with putting one clearly ahead of the other. Once again, kind of reminds me of college football.
That all said, without further ado, here’s Jon’s Three Cents Top 25 Albums of 2012
25) Fozzy – Sin & Bones
24) Charm City Devils – Sins
23) Tremonti – All I Was
22) Lynyrd Skynyrd – Last Of A Dyin’ Breed
21) Adrenaline Mob – Omerta
21) Otherwise – True Love Never Dies
19) Ugly Kid Joe – Stairway To Hell
18) Rival Sons – Head Down
17) Aranda – Stop the World
16) Tank – War Nation
15) Trixter – New Audio Machine
14) Hoobastank – Fight or Flight
13) My Darkest Days – Sick & Twisted Affair
12) ZZ Top – La Futura
11) Joe Walsh – Analog Man
10) Hellyeah – Band of Brothers
9) Accept – Stalingrad
8) Stone Sour – House of Gold & Bones, Part 1
7) Papa Roach – The Connection
6) Nonpoint – Nonpoint
5) Hinder – Welcome To The Freakshow
4) Rush – Clockwork Angels
3) Three Days Grace – Transit of Venus
2) Slash f. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators – Apocalyptic Love
1) Halestorm – The Strange Case of …